During their work with primary care colleagues across the Thames Valley, SCW’s Improving Immunisation Uptake (IIU) Team have put together five 'Top Tips' for general practice to improve childhood vaccination uptake rates.
- Adopt a whole practice approach and allocate a dedicated team member as immunisation lead.
- Review and update practice immunisation processes.
- New registrations - ensure immunisation histories are obtained, scanned, coded and sent to Child Information Health Services (CHIS).
- Data cleansing - identify and deregister 'ghost' patients.
- Follow up DNA's by text and telephone.
Lorraine Meadows, our Senior Immunisation and Improving Immunisation Uptake Team Lead, talks through these in more detail.
If you would like to find out more about how your practice can implement these tips then please contact the team for more information. Alongside the 'top five', the IIU team have developed additional tips, which can be used not only to improve childhood vaccination uptake rates but also screening and other national immunisation programmes e.g. flu/COVID19.